Saturday, March 19, 2011

May 8, 2012

10:00 P.M. I learned a little today from Josey and Kevin. They were from the outskirts of a small town in Alabama called Butler, and they picked up on my trail as I neared Birmingham.

The disease killed everyone in their town, and their story is a lot like mine. Josey's husband, Dale, died in her arms while Kevin watched helplessly. Food riots, government confiscation, all that, same as what I went through. Josey and Kevin also noted the large number of birds that died before, during, and after the human deaths began.

They packed what they could into Dale's old hunting truck (the Scout, after taking it back from the now dead sheriff), and set off in search of survivors. They headed west at first, since they had family in Baton Rouge. But then they spotted me making my way eastward. They'd seen enough to tell them that finding their family alive was unlikely, so they decided to follow me from a distance. Unsure of who I was, not knowing my intentions, and afraid I might be infectious, they shadowed me until I was taken by.... whoever it was that took me.

While they tried their best to track my captors, they lost them. For weeks they searched, but couldn't find me. Just when they were about to give up, it was I who found them.

So now I know for sure that there are others out there. Some who want something from us survivors, and others who are fighting them. I suppose it raises more questions than answers, but at least I know that I'm not alone anymore, and there are people on my side.

We travelled a bit today, and are now camped on the outskirts of the small city of Winchester. Tomorrow we'll head into town to look for supplies, and a larger vehicle. A camper would be nice too...

7 comments:

  1. Gonna keep your guard up a little better this time? You're bound to be getting tracked. By one side or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mayberry,

    Short sweet and a great setup for more mischief!

    Take care,

    s4r

    ReplyDelete
  3. mayberry, I am loving this story you are doing.You should do this as a book. I sure would buy one.Keep up the great work ! I check your site at least once a day looking for the next installment on you fiction. Keep the faith, jimb

    ReplyDelete
  4. More, more! faster please. I speed read, need my daily fix!

    ReplyDelete