Wednesday, June 9, 2010

March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Day. Sure wouldn't mind a green beer right about now. Slept well in the Blazer with the windows cracked open. Heard dogs roaming around several times in the night, sometimes fighting over..... I don't want to think about what they were probably fighting over.

I've got a pot of water on my mini alcohol stove from the bug out bag, and soon some Ramen noodles will be my breakfast. I ate the last cereal bar yesterday. Sure hope I come across some canned food today if I don't make it to the cabin.

Still no sign of anyone alive. Just the occasional dog, cat, and lots of turkey buzzards. Lots of turkey buzzards...

12:30 PM. I made pretty good time, covered 15 miles since I left at 8:00 this morning. One five mile stretch of road was so choked with cars and semis, I had to run in the bar ditch in 4 wheel drive. Stopped now to siphon some diesel off an 18 wheeler, and grab a quick bite. On a whim I checked out the cab of the 18 wheeler, and boy am I glad! I found 3 cans of soup, and 2 cans of baked beans. There was lunch meat and stuff in the little 'fridge in the sleeper, but it all spoiled weeks ago. Rancid... Anyways, I'm eating a can of beans.

2:30 PM. Had to go off roading again, this time through a pasture, because there was quite a pile-up on the road that had spilled out to the ditches. Just my luck, I found a piece of metal in my right front tire. After spending an hour looking for something to put under the jack to keep it from sinking into the soft dirt, I found an old board. Spare tire is on now. Ten miles to go...

6:00 PM. I made it. Unfortunately, no one is here. No one is anywhere...

There must have been a hell of a storm here yesterday, lots of fallen trees and power lines. Several times I had to break out the chain that was in the Blazer and pull fallen trees or branches off the road. Amazingly, one of the downed power lines was still hot, and sparking all over the road, so I had to detour around it. I guess those power plants are automated enough to keep running for a while. Or maybe there is someone still alive? That thought is what I will have to run with. I can't be the only one.

The cabin is still intact. There's no power, but my uncle has lanterns, fuel, candles, etc. He also stocked the cupboards pretty well. Guess this place was too remote for the police to come confiscate his food. Or maybe that didn't happen here, I don't know. I may never know.

What I do know is there's a half dozen other cabins on this back road, and they're all empty. Not a soul around. There is a truck in front of one about a half mile down, but I cringe at what I'll find there. Let's just say there's no signs of life and leave it at that.

Tonight I am thankful, because I've got food, warm shelter, and a comfortable bed. In the morning, I will load everything up in the Blazer and set out in search of life. There must be someone else out there.


  1. Don't go predictable and have him run into someone who is defensive and starts shooting at first meeting.....OOPS! Did I spoil your next installment?
    Really, though, it's keeping my attention.

  2. Do not go looking for trouble. Hunker down and stay away from the 'die off'. Two months. Then go out and look around. The survivors will have much in common.

  3. good stuff mayberry! I think you have found a calling....

  4. Please remember that time plays into everything. "...and half a loaf of bread. There was lunch meat and stuff in the little 'fridge in the sleeper, but it all spoiled weeks ago. Rancid..."
    Why is an open loaf of bread good after "weeks"?

  5. Oops! Thanks for pointing that out...