Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day Two

Early A.M. I've packed up the few things I have back into the PVC tube, and made a little sling out of some twine that was in there too. Whoever loaded this thing put some serious thought into it. I'm glad.

So, with stick of jerky in hand, and pistol in my waist band, I'm headed eastward. I hope that's the right way to go. I'll soon find out.

Around noon. I came to a clearing, and across the meadow I spied a small house back in some trees. I'm in it now. And I do believe this is where the cache must have come from. There is an empty gun cabinet (someone broke the glass and stole the guns) with a few .22 rounds laying in the bottom. Same brand as those in the cache. I also found more of the dryer lint/vaseline packets, and a short length of PVC pipe, same diameter as the cache.

Not much else here, but I did find a pair of boots that fit me fairly well, and a flannel jacket. Glad to have both of them. I'm still wearing my "prison garb", which is basically like hospital scrubs, and slip on shoes. I've had to stop every ten minutes it seems, to dump the twigs and rocks out of the shoes. The "scrubs" aren't much against the damp chill in the morning and at night.

Digging around in the basement, I found a "false pipe". What alerted me to it was the cleanout, it seemed to be in an odd place. I found a pipe wrench on a nearby work bench and unscrewed the cap. Inside was a sort of net "sock" which contained, joy of joys, canned food! He was even thoughtful enough to stash one of those old army can openers in there. I need to check this place out more thoroughly, I bet there's a few more hidey holes. This guy was smart...

Bingo! A false wall panel next to the stairs. Inside was a set of camo clothes, boonie hat, hiking boots, a scoped 30-06, ammo pouch with about 200 rounds, backpack loaded with food and gear, canteen... Basically everything one would need to set out on foot in a hurry. I'm guessing this guy died from the disease before he had the chance. Thank you, whoever you were. Your preparations were not wasted.

Late afternoon. Well, there was a watch in the pack, but it was digital. In other words, it's fried. But I do have binoculars, a compass, and perhaps best of all, a map! I now know that I am in northwestern Virginia, near a little town called Bridgewater.

Which means I need to find some wheels, because there's some pretty mountainous terrain in every direction. I'm also too close to Washington DC for my comfort. I don't know what's happened exactly, but given my "prison" experience, I've no doubt the government is involved somehow. Or some sort of powerful entity. Either way, the thought of being near DC is making the hair on my neck stand on end...

Time to make camp and eat something. Tomorrow is going to be a long day, I think.

9 comments:

  1. Man, I am so liking this story that I can't wait for the next installment! Like the old Saturday serials in my past!

    Good story telling, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I thought this story was exciting before... I'm so glad you're updating it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, we are off and walking again! I don't know where you get the inspiration from but you are doing an excellent job! Maybe we can get a full ebook out of this and hopefully Captain jack. That might make you some extra cash. I know I will be in line for copies of both!

    Thanks Mayberry!

    s4r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, thanks!

    Sneaux, Thank you.

    S4r, it just comes to me when I start pecking. Thanks. Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is getting very good, can't wait till the next installment! Great job Mayberry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story, thank you for taking the time to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny to read the comment from S4r since that's exactly what I did with what's available so far so I can have it on my nook. I even created a cover for it.

    Mayberry, I'd be more than willing to continue the process and send you a copy of the epub file as each "chapter" is added.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Mayb.

    You're in my neck of the woods now! Just an f.y.i., there is a govt. installation east of Winchester called Mt. Weather, one of those hollow mountain facilities, in case you want to factor it into the story...

    Scott from VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pete, thanks.

    Max, thank you for reading it.

    Mike, that's cool! Sure, I'd like that.

    Scott, good to know. I figured there was, which is why I chose that location. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete