Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 15, 2012

A "two-fer" today, read this one first! http://mayberryspreppernetworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/may-14-2012.html




5:30 A.M. I woke with a start at 4:30. Immediately I went to check on Josey, and was relieved to find her very much alive. Though still warm, it seems her fever has subsided. She took some water, and murmured a bit before slipping back into unconsciousness. For a long while, I held her small hand and gently rubbed it, looking at her moonlit silhouette. I wished I could transfer my energy through her hand to make her well again. Maybe I did, because I am very tired again...

8:00 A.M. I awoke to the smell of breakfast cooking. Bleary eyed, I saw Kevin at the stove with a smile on his face. I looked over to Josey and saw her sleeping, with a little color having returned to her cheeks. Kevin told me that she'd woke up around 7 and said she loved him. He got her to drink a whole bottle of water before she fell asleep again. I was overjoyed, and Kevin wrapped me in a big bear hug. He bawled with joy, and so did I. It was only beans and cornbread from a pouch, but it was the best breakfast I'd ever eaten,

12:00 P.M. Josey spoke! Her fever broke, and she woke up. She asked me how I was doing. Choking back the tears, I told her I was fine, then grabbed her up in a hug. Then she realized that her leg was gone... I told her what happened. She lay there quiet for a minute. Then she looked me in the eye and softly whispered "thank you".

I told her that I didn't do anything for her that I didn't think she'd do for me, and Josey softly said "bullshit". She then took my hand, smiled, and told me I was her hero. I told her that I was just returning the favor. With that, she went back to sleep.

7:30 P.M. Kevin went out to hunt down supper while I stood watch over Josey. I gave her another round of antibiotics, and changed the dressing on her stump. her color is returning, and the fever is all but gone. She's still a little warm, but she's not burning hot or sweating much. I was even able to feed her some broth, which she kept down.

Kevin fed him and I a couple roasted rabbits with some caned veggies, which was a welcome treat after fasting for a couple days. After eating, Kevin ordered me to hit the sack or else. So I'm off to sleep. Let tomorrow find Josey stronger...

No comments:

Post a Comment